top of page

Individual Checklist

The following checklist will help you collect the documents you'll need when filing your individual tax returns with us. When all of the boxes are checked, you're ready.

  • Your last 3 years' tax returns (new client). Maybe we can amend and save money.
  • Social Security Numbers and dates of birth are needed for all taxpayers, spouses and dependents.
  • W-s Forms
  • 1099 Forms for Interest dividend, retirement, Social Security, and unemployment benefits need to be entered correctly to comply with the IRS matching program.
  • Property tax statements contain important information.
  • Forms 1098 for mortgage interest need to be entered as printed. The IRS cross checks.
  • Purchase and sale information, including dates, relating to anything sold during the year is needed.
  • Child Care provider information (name, address, SS#, amount paid) is needed for the child care credit.
  • Names, addresses, and Social Security numbers from whom you received interest, or to whom you paid interest.
  • Bankruptcy or divorce papers (if applicable).
  • If you paid an individual person $600 or more for services rendered in connection with your business, please provide their name, address, and tax ID numbers.
  • Records showing income and expense for any small business or rental property you own will be needed.
  • If you have an investment in a Partnership, S Corporation, Estate or Trust, you will need to bring Form K-1
  • Bring IRA year-end statement.
  • Bring all other statements of income, whether you think they are taxable or not.
  • Forms 1098-T amounts paid for post-secondary tuition are sent to the student. If the student is your dependent, you will need to obtain 1098-T from the student to get the education credit.
  • Bring your records of estimated taxes paid.
  • Student loan interest forms 1098-E.
  • Adoption costs is applicable. Also bring the legal adoption documents.
  • Form 1098-C for donations of automobiles or boats.
  • Details on all noncash donations greater than $500. Include date, place, fair market value, original cost.
  • Bring a voided check for direct deposit or any refunds you expect to receive.
  • Noncustodial parents claiming children need a signed IRS Form 8332 to claim the child.
  • If your mortgage was forgiven due to foreclosure, bring Form 1099-C or 1099-A.
  • Information on energy saving home improvements might get you a tax credit.
  • If you received Forms 1099-K for internet or credit card sales please bring them.
  • Proof of health insurance is needed. Bring Form 1095 if you received one.
  • Proof of residency for children claimed for EITC.
  • Other special circumstance - contact us for details.
  • Assets held outside USA. bring statement(s). Such assets must be disclosed even if they do not generate taxable income.

Tax Time Basics


Your mailbox should be filling up with tax information you will need to get the job done.

This page is full of information to help you gather your tax documents we need in preparing your tax returns so that you will pay only the tax that you rightfully owe.

bottom of page